How do recompile everything?

I would like to rebuild the whole system, upgrade the ports and all the dependencies. I tried the following procedure:

1. rm -rf /usr/obj
2. cd /usr/src
3. make buildworld
4. make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
5. make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
6. reboot (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader prompt).
7. mergemaster -p
8. make installworld
9. make delete-old
10. mergemaster -ia
11. reboot
12. make delete-old-libs
13. portsnap update
14. portupgrade -all

Unfortunately, a lot of packages didn't get reinstalled and there were all kinds of dependency issues with the ports. Is there a clean, simple way of rebuilding the whole system using the latest sources?

Thank you! :D

J.

Not in package form; it will reinstall/upgrade everything as ports. Look into the -P and -PP flags to portupgrade. Something like portupgrade -afP or -afPP is entirely possible.

So I tried that and it complained about a stale dependency and told me to run "pkgdb -F" so I did but I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do here. It's not really asking anything but it wants me to answer:

---> Checking the package registry database
Stale dependency: compiz-fusion-0.7.8 -> gnome-icon-theme-2.22.0_1 (misc/gnome-icon-theme):
gnome-vfs-2.24.0 (score:31%) ? ([y]es/[n]o/[a]ll) [no]

You can usually just go with the default, which is [no] in this case. Just type enter. Then it will ask if you want to install that dependency. Answer yes to that. When you use a mix of packages and ports you may encounter pkgdb -F quite a few times. Just be patient. Keep in mind that pkgdb is not highly intelligent; it will just suggest a port that looks a bit similar, and it's rarely correct, but it may happen. In that case you can say 'yes' to the suggestion. Also keep an eye on /usr/ports/UPDATING, because some upgrades need some additional actions. Once you've cleared the entire minefield you will find that updating ports regularly is not rocket science.

It gave me:

---> Checking the package registry database
Stale dependency: compiz-fusion-0.7.8 -> kdebase-kompmgr-3.5.10 (x11-wm/kompmgr):
kdebase-workspace-4.2.1 (score:47%) ? ([y]es/[n]o/[a]ll) [no]
Install stale dependency? ([y]es/[n]o/[a]ll) [yes]

I hit yes to install and it started compiling, then said:

bs --cflags avahi-client` -L/usr/local/lib -o libdns_sd.la -rpath /usr/local/lib libdns_sd_la-compat.lo libdns_sd_la-txt.lo libdns_sd_la-unsupported.lo libdns_sd_la-warn.lo -lssp
cc -shared .libs/libdns_sd_la-compat.o .libs/libdns_sd_la-txt.o .libs/libdns_sd_la-unsupported.o .libs/libdns_sd_la-warn.o -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib -pthread -L/usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/libavahi-common.so /usr/local/lib/libavahi-client.so -lssp -pthread -pthread -pthread -pthread -pthread -Wl,-soname -Wl,libdns_sd.so.1 -o .libs/libdns_sd.so.1
(cd .libs && rm -f libdns_sd.so && ln -s libdns_sd.so.1 libdns_sd.so)
(cd .libs && rm -f libdns_sd.so && ln -s libdns_sd.so.1 libdns_sd.so)
ar cru .libs/libdns_sd.a libdns_sd_la-compat.o libdns_sd_la-txt.o libdns_sd_la-unsupported.o libdns_sd_la-warn.o
ranlib .libs/libdns_sd.a
creating libdns_sd.la
(cd .libs && rm -f libdns_sd.la && ln -s ../libdns_sd.la libdns_sd.la)
sed -e 's,@prefix\@,/usr/local,g' \
-e 's,@libdir\@,/usr/local/lib,g' \
-e 's,@PTHREAD_CFLAGS\@,-D_THREAD_SAFE ,g' \
-e 's,@PTHREAD_LIBS\@,-pthread,g' \
-e 's,@PACKAGE_VERSION\@,0.6.24,g' avahi-compat-libdns_sd.pc.in > avahi-compat-libdns_sd.pc
---> Installing the new version via the port
===> Installing for avahi-libdns-0.6.24

===> avahi-libdns-0.6.24 conflicts with installed package(s):
mDNSResponder-108

They install files into the same place.
Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/net/avahi-libdns.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/net/avahi-libdns.
** Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/bin/script -qa /tmp/portinstall20090320-14570-1vwwqbe-0 env make reinstall
** Fix the installation problem and try again.
---> Skipping 'x11-wm/kompmgr' because a requisite port 'net/avahi-libdns' failed (specify -k to force)
** Listing the failed packages (-:ignored / *:skipped / !:failed)
! net/avahi-libdns (install error)
* x11-wm/kompmgr
Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/local/sbin/portinstall x11-wm/kompmgr

I'm really trying to be patient ;)

Something tells me that I'm currently running a hybrid of KDE 3.5 and 4.2 because the window decorations are fugly (even when I pick oxygen or keramik) and every time I start an X app. from the command line, I get messages like this:

:1: error: unexpected character `\1', expected keyword - e.g. `style'

...oh, and also, I ran kcontrol which told me that I'm running KDE 3.5-something-or-other.

"ps -A |grep -i kde" thinks it's KDE 4:

1137 ?? Is 0:00.00 /usr/local/kde4/bin/kdm-bin
1156 ?? Is 0:00.01 /bin/sh /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde
1206 ?? Is 0:00.04 kdeinit4: kdeinit4 Running... (kdeinit4)
1209 ?? S 1:54.87 kded4
1220 ?? I 0:00.05 /usr/local/kde4/bin/kwrited
1223 ?? I 0:00.27 /usr/local/kde4/bin/knotify4
1224 ?? I 0:00.13 /usr/local/kde4/bin/nepomukserver
1225 ?? S 0:00.28 /usr/local/kde4/bin/nepomukservicestub nepomukstorage
1226 ?? I 0:24.84 /usr/local/kde4/bin/plasma
1227 ?? S 0:05.76 /usr/local/kde4/bin/nepomukservicestub nepomukontologyloader
1228 ?? S 0:00.15 /usr/local/kde4/bin/nepomukservicestub nepomukmigration1
1229 ?? SN 0:00.17 /usr/local/kde4/bin/nepomukservicestub nepomukstrigiservice
1230 ?? S 0:00.16 /usr/local/kde4/bin/nepomukservicestub nepomukqueryservice
1231 ?? S 0:00.16 /usr/local/kde4/bin/nepomukservicestub nepomukfilewatch
1234 ?? S 0:00.23 /usr/local/kde4/bin/kaccess
1244 ?? S 0:00.71 /usr/local/kde4/bin/klipper
1246 ?? S 0:13.64 /usr/local/kde4/bin/kmix
1248 ?? S 0:04.28 /usr/local/kde4/bin/krunner
1249 ?? S 0:00.26 /usr/local/kde4/bin/korgac -icon korgac

how many ports do you have in /var/db/pkg?
more than a few and updating everything can be problematic.
I categorize them (sometimes even written down) and
update each type different ways.
"stale dependency"
IMHO better to just 1... note what the missing
dependency is (you can in another TTY change to
the port and find out while pkgdb waits)., then
answer N, N, "carriage return" , A
to
1... "this other dependency?
2... "install stale dependency?
3.. new dependency?
4... skip this (y,n,a)
and if pkgdb completes, you can manually
install the missing ones.
I even put the "N N [return] A " , on a
label on the monitor.

You can also install portmaster for a minute and run portmaster -L. You only need to portupgrade -f the root ports (first block) and portupgrade -Rf the leaf ports (last block). The other two blocks of ports (trunk ports and branch ports) will be pulled in as dependencies. This will probably cut down on running pkgdb -F, though not entirely. At least you don't have to restart portupgrade -af every time.

And never mind the weird side-effects that are visible in the screen, that's to be expected. I usually do these massive tasks from the console.

I went for the hard way - deinstalled all KDE and related stuff (about 30 pieces total) until pkgdb -F said that it didn't see anything stale. Now I'm doing "portupgrade -af" (630 packages) and I'll recompile KDE4 once it's finished. Hopefully that will do the trick.

"make config" is slowing the process down. I'm accepting the defaults every time it comes up since I don't know what most of the options are. Is this a one time thing? The next time I run "portupgrade -af" it should just use the config options I chose the first time. Correct? If not, would the "-y" option take care of the config screens?

Set the environment variable BATCH to yes (use set, setenv or export, depending on your shell, e.g. bash uses 'export BATCH=yes'), and all ports will build with their defaults, or re-use the options that were found for previous installs.

Can I also use "--make-args j5"? Does this usually work with portupgrade?
Code:
BATCH="yes" portupgrade --make-args j5 -af

Better not, it will almost always screw up the install due to race/concurrency issues. Port installation is a very serial process, not geared towards parallel processing.

That seems like a huge waste of processing power and time. Not to ruffle any feathers but Gentoo definitely has a big advantage in this area then. It allows you to specify MAKEOPTS in make.conf and it actually uses them when doing "emerge -e world" (which rebuilds all the packages with dependencies).

man portmaster:
Using portmaster to do a complete reinstallation of all your ports:
1. portmaster -l > ~/installed-port-list
2. Update your ports tree
3. portmaster --clean-distfiles-all
4. portmaster --check-port-dbdir
5. portmaster -Faf
6. pkg_delete '*'
7. rm -rf /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg
8. Manually check /usr/local and /var/db/pkg
to make sure that they are really empty

Now look at the list you generated in the first step and install
the root and leaf ports that you want to have again. The trunk
and branch ports are dependencies, and will automatically be
installed as needed. You probably want to use the -D option for
the installations and then run --clean-distfiles[-all] again when
you are done. You might also want to consider using the
--force-config option when installing the new ports.

Back