Fatal: No GLXFBConfig for default depth

I'm getting this while trying to start compiz:
compiz (core) - Fatal: No GLXFBConfig for default depth, this isn't
going to work.
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0

I'm running Xorg 7.4 and my video card is Radeon X1950 Pro - using the radeon driver:

Thanks! :D

J.

Hi Adam,
Thanks for the PM and the reply! :)

I don't seem to have glxinfo on my system. Did I forget to install something?

I'm attaching Xorg.0.log and my xorg.conf as well. Looking at the log, I see that I should remove the following options from the config:
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "DisableGLXRootClipping" "True"
Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"

...but would they hurt anything?

Thanks! :)

J.

Attachments

• Xorg.zip
    11.2 KB · Views: 229
Those options won't hurt anything, but they are nvidia-only options.

You don't appear to be running -STABLE. In my PM to you the other day, I said you should upgrade to -STABLE. The DRM changes necessary for r500 cards are available in -STABLE. Theoretically you can download the DRM via git and build it, but I think upgrading is your best option.

Adam

Oh, sorry. I just assumed that updating the ports (portsnap update) would give me 7.4-STABLE. I saw that /usr/ports/x11/xorg/ got updated from 7.3 to 7.4. Running "make install distclean" in /usr/ports/x11/xorg/ gives me:
Code:
===>  Installing for xorg-7.4
===>   xorg-7.4 depends on file: /usr/local/lib/dri/r128_dri.so - found
===>   xorg-7.4 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/xbitmaps.pc - found
===>   xorg-7.4 depends on file: /usr/local/lib/X11/icons/handhelds/cursors/X_cursor - found
===>   xorg-7.4 depends on file: /usr/local/share/X11/doc/hardcopy/BDF/bdf.PS.gz - found
===>   xorg-7.4 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/xorg/apps - found
===>   xorg-7.4 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/xorg/libraries - found
===>   xorg-7.4 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/xorg/fonts - found
===>   xorg-7.4 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/xorg/drivers - found
===>   xorg-7.4 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/Xorg - found
===>   Generating temporary packing list
===>  Checking if x11/xorg already installed
===>   xorg-7.4 is already installed
      You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
      by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
      If you really wish to overwrite the old port of x11/xorg
      without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
      in your environment or the "make install" command line.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/xorg.

What do I need to do to get 7.4-STABLE installed?

Thanks again! :)

J.

-STABLE refers to the a branch of the FreeBSD source tree, and has nothing to do with ports. All development is done in the -CURRENT branch first and then, once tested and certain it won't break anything, it is ported to -STABLE. RELEASES come from the -STABLE branch. You may want to do some googling on the subject.

To upgrade to -STABLE, you can use cvsup. There is an example supfile in the base system: /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile. It requires a single change (specifying the cvsup host to use) but will pull all of the -STABLE sources. You would then need to build and install kernel and world.

Adam

Does this look like the correct approach?

Code:
cvsup -g -L 2 /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile
cd /usr/src
make buildworld
make buildkernel KERNCONF="`uname -i`"
make installkernel KERNCONF="`uname -i`"
make installworld
shutdown -r now

The preferred method:

Code:
# For individuals wanting to upgrade their sources (even if only a
# delta of a few days):
#
#  1.  `cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your source tree).
#  2.  `make buildworld'
#  3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is GENERIC).
#  4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is GENERIC).
#       [steps 3. & 4. can be combined by using the "kernel" target]
#  5.  `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader prompt).
#  6.  `mergemaster -p'
#  7.  `make installworld'
#  8.  `make delete-old'
#  9.  `mergemaster'                         (you may wish to use -U or -ai).
# 10.  `reboot'
# 11.  `make delete-old-libs' (in case no 3rd party program uses them anymore)

I prefer to precede this by:
0. rm -rf /usr/obj

Thanks guys! I'm stuck at the "make kernel" step though. The config that I had working in "7.1-RELEASE-p3" isn't working now.

The compile dies at:

Code:
cc -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe  -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -std=c99 -nostdinc   -DHAVE_KERNEL_OPTION_HEADERS -include /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/AMD64-JackS/opt_global.h -I. -I@ -I@/contrib/altq -finline-limit=8000 --param inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000 -fno-common -g -fno-omit-frame-pointer -I/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/AMD64-JackS -mcmodel=kernel -mno-red-zone  -mfpmath=387 -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-mmx -mno-3dnow  -msoft-float -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -ffreestanding -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes  -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual  -Wundef -Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -c /usr/src/sys/modules/zyd/../../dev/usb/if_zyd.c
ld  -d -warn-common -r -d -o if_zyd.ko.debug if_zyd.o
:> export_syms
awk -f /usr/src/sys/modules/zyd/../../conf/kmod_syms.awk if_zyd.ko.debug  export_syms | xargs -J% objcopy % if_zyd.ko.debug
objcopy --only-keep-debug if_zyd.ko.debug if_zyd.ko.symbols
objcopy --strip-debug --add-gnu-debuglink=if_zyd.ko.symbols if_zyd.ko.debug if_zyd.ko
1 error
*** Error code 2
1 error
*** Error code 2
1 error
What to do next?

J.

Post your kernel config. It's usually a matter of a kernel option missing a dependency (another kernel option).

DutchDaemon said:
Post your kernel config. It's usually a matter of a kernel option missing a dependency (another kernel option).

My config is pretty much the same as GENERIC.
I think there is more to it. I just tried compiling GENERIC and it failed with:

Code:
fs/zfs/zvol.c /usr/src/sys/modules/zfs/../../cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs/vdev_geom.c
===> zlib (depend)
@ -> /usr/src/sys
machine -> /usr/src/sys/amd64/include
rm -f .depend
mkdep -f .depend -a   -nostdinc -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -DHAVE_KERNEL_OPTION_HEADERS -I. -I@ -I@/contrib/altq -I/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC /usr/src/sys/modules/zlib/../../net/zlib.c
===> zyd (depend)
ln -sf /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC/opt_usb.h opt_usb.h
awk -f @/tools/makeobjops.awk @/kern/device_if.m -h
@ -> /usr/src/sys
machine -> /usr/src/sys/amd64/include
awk: can't open file @/tools/makeobjops.awk
 source line number 1 source file @/tools/makeobjops.awk
 context is
         >>>  <<<
*** Error code 2
awk -f @/tools/makeobjops.awk @/kern/bus_if.m -h
1 error
*** Error code 2
1 error
*** Error code 2
1 error
*** Error code 2
1 error
*** Error code 2
1 error

Thanks! :D

J.

Attachments

• kern.txt
    15 KB · Views: 471
If it fails (even GENERIC) in exactly the same place (looks like it) you may have encountered a small glitch in the sources. It happens occasionally, because STABLE is more or less a moving target that's constantly being updated. Re-csup your sources and start over (don't forget to remove /usr/obj betwen compiles!).

DutchDaemon said:
If it fails (even GENERIC) in exactly the same place (looks like it) you may have encountered a small glitch in the sources. It happens occasionally, because STABLE is more or less a moving target that's constantly being updated. Re-csup your sources and start over (don't forget to remove /usr/obj betwen compiles!).

Can I compile the kernel without that module? It looks like it has to do with wireless networking which I don't care about.

I re-ran cvsup and it downloaded a bunch of new files but the kernel still fais while compiling that same module. The module itself compiles fine without any options if I cd to /usr/src/sys/modules/zyd and make.

I don't think it's the module. It's the very last module (as you can see from the alphabetical order), so it's the first phase after compiling the modules where it appears to fail: /usr/src/sys/tools/makeobjops.awk awol? I do have it, but it's over four years old, so not something that goes missing from a repository, I guess.

I just tried it again and it died in a different spot. What gives?
Code:
cc -c -O2 -frename-registers -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing  -std=c99 -g -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes  -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual  -Wundef -Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -nostdinc  -I. -I/usr/src/sys -I/usr/src/sys/contrib/altq -D_KERNEL -DHAVE_KERNEL_OPTION_HEADERS -include opt_global.h -fno-common -finline-limit=8000 --param inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000  -mcmodel=kernel -mno-red-zone  -mfpmath=387 -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-mmx -mno-3dnow  -msoft-float -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -ffreestanding -Werror  /usr/src/sys/dev/ath/if_ath.c -I/usr/src/sys/dev/ath
/usr/src/sys/dev/ath/if_ath.c: In function 'ath_rx_tap':
/usr/src/sys/dev/ath/if_ath.c:3414: error: 'const struct ath_rx_status' has no member named 'rs_flags'
/usr/src/sys/dev/ath/if_ath.c:3416: error: 'const struct ath_rx_status' has no member named 'rs_flags'
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/AMD64-JackS.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.

I don't get what's going on. I dumped /usr/src and ran cvsup again to make sure that I have clean source. I tried compiling the kernel after that and it failed (died right after the last module as before) so I decided to try to compile GENERIC again and it finished ok. Weird or what?

FBSDin20Steps said:
Oops... I thought it was the first post in this thread. Didn't look up.
Kernel looks good. Did you change the releng tag?

Greetz

No, I did not and for some reason I ended up with 7.2-PRERELEASE. What do I have to do to get the 7.4-STABLE source code?

FBSDin20Steps said:
7_4 doesn't exist. You better change it to 7_1 and remove the old source first.

Greetz

But adamk wants me to upgrade to 7.4-STABLE. How do I do that? I don't think we're all on the same page.

Back