Konsole does not start

When I launch it:
$ konsole

The output is:
Code:
konsole(62410)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Unable to find an appropriate lock to guard the shared cache.  This *should* be essentially 
impossible. :( 
konsole(62410)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Unable to perform initial setup, this system probably does not really support process-shared 
pthreads or semaphores, even though it claims otherwise.

I have tried devel/pth, devel/pth-hard and devel/pthsem to no avail.

That is not a problem, it's a well known issue which only makes shared cache for icons disabled, and it's fixed in -CURRENT.

I have installed x11/kde4 from ports. How long can it take for the fix to be transported to the main ports tree? I mean an order of magnitude like days, weeks, months...

Sorry, my answer was not precise. The log you pasted shows a known problem, and you shouldn't care about it. The Konsole thing has to be debugged, so can you please enable all the "konsole" entries in kdebugdialog?

I launched $ kdebugdialog from an xterm and the output in the terminal is the same than launching Konsole, however the application starts an shows that the debugger option for Konsole is active.

The same output make me suspect that the known bug is not the cause of Konsole not starting. Am I right?

As I already said, you can safely ignore that output. Are all the "Konsole" entries enabled? If not, enabled ALL OF THEM, click "OK", and then restart Konsole to see if there is more output.

They are enabled, but the output is the same and Konsole does not start.

I have to say that I usually build without debugging option.

$ kdekillall konsole; konsole; pgrep -af konsole

and the output:

Code:
No process killed
konsole(24552)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Unable to find an appropriate lock to guard the shared cache.  This *should* be essentially impossible. :( 
konsole(24552)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Unable to perform initial setup, this system probably does not really support process-shared pthreads or 
semaphores, even though it claims otherwise. 

So there is a running Konsole... Are you using KDE activities? If yes, can you check if Konsole is started in another activity?

What happens if you rename the entire .kde4/ directory in your home folder? So that KDE creates a new one from scratch.

I renamed it and started KDE4, but cannot start Konsole. Same behaviour.

It tries to start an I can see it briefly, but nothing more.

Just Konsole.

$ sysctl -a |grep kern.ipc.shm
Code:
kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed: 0
kern.ipc.shm_use_phys: 0
kern.ipc.shmall: 8192
kern.ipc.shmseg: 128
kern.ipc.shmmni: 192
kern.ipc.shmmin: 1
kern.ipc.shmmax: 33554432

The numbers for shmall and shmmax look quite low. I have problems playing a dvd using those settings. What sort of system do you have in terms of ram and video? You might consider changing shm_allow_removed 0->1.

I'm not sure that's your problem but that will certainly affect other areas like playing flash video.

My system has 6 GB RAM and a GTX260, however you are right, I have problems when playing flash trying to use fullscreen. It does, but with stuttering. I'll try your suggestion.

edit: the flash stuttering continues, I think it is also due to graphics/gnash-devel uses only one processor core. Konsole does not start either.

Back