Gnome build is taking long over 2 days

Is it normal for Gnome to take more than 2 days to build?

As a test, I am concurrently installing Gnome on 2 different boxes on 2 different internet connections both with clean FreeBSD installations with nothing else installed except successful Xorg installs.

One system has a 1.6 GB processor and the other a 2.66 GB processor. I am not getting any errors on either but they are both taking about 2 days to install so far. I successfully already installed KDE earlier on a separate machine and that took about 4-6 hours. I have hit tab and enter on about 50 options screens so far on each installation. I am wondering if instead of throwing errors the install could be looping.

It will take some time for the full GNOME desktop to build.

Make use of BATCH and/or make config-recursive. See ports(7).

I tried using packages instead

Thanks for the advice Sir Dice. I had been installing everything from ports up to this point and did not realize how much faster the packages were, so I am trying with packages.

Also, I took your advice on how to prevent the options screens from holding up a port install, but am unclear as to the difference between config-recursive and rmconfig-recursive. Seems like they would both make an install proceed 100% automatically.

itslikethat said:
Is it normal for Gnome to take more than 2 days to build?

As a test, I am concurrently installing Gnome on 2 different boxes on 2 different internet connections both with clean FreeBSD installations with nothing else installed except successful Xorg installs.

You could use -j parameter to increase number of threads during make. Or add into your make.conf:
Code:
FORCE_MAKE_JOBS=yes
MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER=8

You could use some parameters to configure everything on start. portinstall(1) (from portupgrade package)
portinstall -c
or find some option to ignore asking for config and choose default.

itslikethat said:
but am unclear as to the difference between config-recursive and rmconfig-recursive.

config-recursive sets all the configuration options for the port and its dependencies
rmconfig-recursive removes all the configuration options for the port and its dependencies

Back