make/gcc and core 2 duo

Hello !

make/gcc use only one CPU on my core 2 duo.
I've MAKEOPT=-j 4 and MAKEFLAG=-j 4 in /etc/make.conf.
Have you got any solution ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Have you tried to simply pass -j argument at the command line?

A reasonable number of builds to start is one more than the number of CPUs you have. For example, if you have a two-core processor, you can use three build process by using:

Code:
# make -j3 install clean

If I'm not wrong, the kernel and (most of) the ports, are not safe to be built with -j, so, if that's the reason why you want to use -j, you may want to pay attention or check about more info about that by yourself.

Building ports/world with -j (make buildworld/make buildkernel) is fine, installing them with -j (make installkernel/make installworld) is not.

DutchDaemon said:
Building ports/world with -j (make buildworld/make buildkernel) is fine, installing them with -j (make installkernel/make installworld) is not.
Nice!
I knew about buildworld (it's even in the handbook), but I thought that it wasn't good for buildkernel.
Maybe it comes from the 5.x times...

ale said:
I knew about buildworld (it's even in the handbook), but I thought that it wasn't good for buildkernel.
Maybe it comes from the 5.x times...

make -jn where n > 2 causes buildkernel to fail with errors (amd64, 7.1-STABLE).

make -j8 buildworld is cool though :)

Must be very typical for amd64 then. I always build kernel/world with -j4 on i386 (any CPU, really).

fch said:
Hello !

make/gcc use only one CPU on my core 2 duo.
I've MAKEOPT=-j 4 and MAKEFLAG=-j 4 in /etc/make.conf.
Have you got any solution ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Sorry to post to the old thread, but this information is out-dated and invalid (if somebody will find this post, I did).
MAKEOPTS is not supported by FreeBSD
See: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=19172
For proper configuration in make.conf instead.

Back