e18

Does anyone know if e18 is due to hit ports any time soon? If not, does anyone have any experience trying to make it work on FreeBSD?

ucsdboy said:
Does anyone know if e18 is due to hit ports any time soon? If not, does anyone have any experience trying to make it work on FreeBSD?
I'm not aware of anyone working on it, but that doesn't say much. If nobody else here knows (you might want to give it a few days to see if anyone else responds), I suggest you ask on the freebsd-ports@ mailing list. And if it indeed turns out that nobody is working on it, you could ask the maintainer of x11-wm/enlightenment (e17) if (s)he knows how difficult it would be to port e18 to FreeBSD.

abishai said:
I hope, we'll see e18 someday in ports. Any DE looks bloated in comparison with e17.

Agreed! Enlightenment "e19" has been released now as well, so it'd be a vastly welcomed update. The reason that I don't use Enlightenment in FreeBSD is that the current version of the port has a known bug where it locks up the entire session when you try to create a file or directory in the file manager.

It looks like it's been a long time since that link you provided had any new discussion on it. I'd love to try my hand at creating some ports, but I think it's beyond my newbie skill set for now.

Does anyone know if Robert David has tried to get his patches from that discussion submitted into the ports tree?

I have installed Enlightenment (e17) last week for the first time and I love it. It is fast, and it is pure eye candy. One can even define if one wants a specific workspace to be a tiling workspace, I love that modules concept. In short, Enlightenment should really be in the ports (and now also e18, e19). So far I have said nothing helpful. But it would be nice if people who are experienced in porting software could post here and there in the 'how to' section of the forum an overview of a port that they did, so that people get an impression how to port new software. The details of course need then to be filled in by the reader using the Porter's Handbook.

I have very good news: I contacted the maintainer of the E-17 port and he said that he plans to commit updates to E-19 next week. So it could very well be that in the near future we can update to E-19. All my thanks go to that wonderful maintainer :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back