Other Hardware firewalls with FreeBSD?

Hi,

Does anyone know if these days some hardware firewalls use FreeBSD as OS, they are mostly Linux?

hi

Does anyoneknow if these days some hardware firewalls use FreeBSD as OS, they are mostly Linux?
The real big Juniper and Cisco have their own OS which runs only on their hardware only. The Juniper One Juno OS is a customized FreeBSD. Based upon the number of patches coming from Cisco engineers to OpenBSD PF and LibreSSL indicates that code is carefully scrutinized. Many research ideas are firstly implemented in OpenBSD which is unburdened with backward binary comparability. Sometimes that comes as a result of the fact that big companies who paid research fail to realize immediate commercial usefulness. A lot of research which is used as a base for the network stack in OpenBSD is paid by Japanese companies. OS X uses PF. Smaller appliances are typically BSD based. Linux IP tables are a clone of FreeBSD IPFW. Smoothwall is probably the most popular appliance based on IP tables. Google's chief security officer is Neil Provos who was a long time OpenBSD developer in his days as a Ph.D. student at the University of Michigan (he is German by birth). As we know Android is the widest used personal OS. I have seen many patches for LibreSSL from Google teams.

It is safe to say that Internet runs on BSD. Linux is irrelevant for the network.

I can never remember which, but one of the big firewall appliance companies uses FreeBSD. I want to say Proofpoint, but I'm not 100% sure. [Edit: It's Check Point that I was thinking of.]

Ironport (SMTP firewall thingy) uses FreeBSD.

And the Nokia (I think, it's an N name) firewall appliance uses FreeBSD. It's basically just a GUI on top of IPFW. The local university used them in the past.

Yep, I remember working on a Nokia IP380 I was installing CheckPoint on and the way it booted looked awfully familiar :D

Back