Solved OpenGL compositing stopped working. (Intel HD 3000)

Please help get acceleration working again on my machine. Perfectly functioning KDE4 desktop and FreeBSD 10.0 kernel stopped composting (at the time) using OpenGL 3.1. Xrender is the only engine running now and after 3 weeks of being stonewalled at every turn its time to admit my flawed thinking process is not capable of finding a solution. Point form history follows:
  • January 2014 Installed kernel and desktop.
  • July 2014 Attempted to install Apache OpenOffice 4 (Aoo4).
  • July 2014 De-installed Aoo4 and install LibreOffice.
During Aoo4 install openjdk6 refused to compile and that ended up being this, which led to a freebsd-update to FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p7 from FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE #0 r260789. Maintainer at openjdk6 port (Mr Jung-uk Kim) torpedoed that issue with one email in record time. Thanks! After openjdk6 issues resolved and Aoo4 reinstalled it ended up crashing every 30 seconds. Sometime during all of this I had to do some Xorg updates and I believe that's when I first noticed OpenGL not rendering. Wobbly windows not wobbly any more. Yes this laptop has an Nvida/Optimus gpu switching scheme which I disabled in bios but that is a mute point because everthing was working properly.
Please see following relevant links:
pciconfig_-lvbce
sysctl -a | grep hw.dri | less
kldstat
pkg info
devinfo -vr
dmesg
Xorg.0.log, etc/X11/xorg.conf

Full 3.1 openGL acceleration back with all special effects. Just got a new hard drive and installed FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE. Some of the highlights are:
  • Used packages to install x11/xorg, x11/kde4, www/firefox [ the [port] tag requires category/portname syntax -- Mod. ]
  • Did not configure "X". startx actually worked this time. Yeah!
  • Make sure to read /usr/ports/UPDATING for Flash install. It's completely different and did not install from packages. Missing dependencies reported by packages, but, ports worked fine.
  • KDE was on OpenGL 2.0 (using raster) right away and I changed this to 3.1 and it worked just like it should. I'm an old fart and can hardly see but the display on this machine is stunning.
  • Checked CPU load while dragging around a wobbly window. Increase in usage is not worth mentioning.
This machine is using Intel HD3000. The platform is Sandy bridge. The hardware build is known as Huron River. My most up to date research shows that there are x2 hardware builds, i.e. FAB1 and FAB2. Both of these builds have approximately 135 different errata associated with them. This machines hardware build as reported by BIOS is FAB1. You could say the prototype. In any case UXA is the acceleration type being loaded successfully by Xorg under FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE. SNA is what FreeBSD 10.0 is trying to load unsuccessfully. I tried UXA under FreeBSD 10.0 in the driver configuration but got a blank screen.

Thanks for straightening this out. It's always nice to know that someone is paying attention.

Please mark this as resolved.:beer:

I may have been a little too premature with my last post about a reason for my graphics once again behaving as they should. After my previous combination of FreeBSD, Xorg, and KDE decided not to render using OpenGL anymore I promised myself that when/if normality returned I would immediately set out to look into the differences in various data streams to see what I might be able to piece together. This is the kind of follow up that their never seems to be enough time for. I have managed to check before and after /var/log/Xorg.0.log files and dmesg files. There is no difference at all in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log files. I was sure that this is where the most changes would take place. In fact they are so identical I'll only post them if someone really wants to see it. I found a few small changes in dmesg output. The before and after dmesg files are posted here and there. The files are both edited, with my comments enclosed in lots of these <<<<<comment>>>>>>. You can skip skimming through these and just look for the comments in the here file and get right to the nuts and bolts.
Synopsis of edits in the "here" file. VT: running with driver "vga": On or about line 9. Seems simple enough but if you think about all the ramifications that may occur if this line was not present, well, who knows? Intel's buzz word for the built in GPU graphic hardware is "Processor Graphics". This line is NOT referring to Processor Graphics but rather another native vga hardware driver sometimes also called "boot vga". Other than the base memory configuration pretty much all of the functions of the vga hardware can be set up about 3 different ways from what I read in the manual. I believe that FreeBSD is saying I've found you out finally. You can argue this is part of the VT switching enable change but I just think my hardware is getting sorted out correctly. This begs the question how did my hardware get sorted out correctly with the old xorg stack and end up working?
VT-x: PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,UG,VPID: On or about line 16. PAT (Page attribute table).• Virtual Processor IDs (VPID) — Ability to assign a VM ID to tag processor core hardware structures (such as TLBs) — This avoids flushes on VM transitions to give a lower-cost VM transition time and an overall reduction in virtualization overhead. HLT, is just that, a "halt" instruction with many interpretations depending on the origin. Its usually initiated at the GPU level and ends up initiating a low power state. MTF, no clue? PAUSE, no clue? EPT, • Extended Page Tables (EPT) — EPT is hardware assisted page table virtualization — It eliminates VM exits from guest OS to the VMM for shadow page-table maintenance UG, no clue?
fbd0 on drmn0: On or about line 200. I checked /dev/ and yes there now is a "fbd" folder/entry. So now before native vga exits a frame buffer is being created and supported in developer by drmn0. What is drmn0? Please do tell.
VT: Replacing driver "vga" with new "fb": on or about line 201. Finally VT is switching to AGP engine and leaving behind vga. Once again it looks like VT switching is responsible for restoring composting and all those eye catching effects found in a KDE desktop? Confusing isn't it?

Back