Xorg can't configure video card

Hi all,

I am trying to use a PNY NVS 300 video card in a 9.2-P14 box. The box has a single PCIe x1 socket for the card and it will drive a Viewsonic VG2230wm monitor (1600x1200 I think).

If I install the card and do nothing X comes up at what looks like 640x480. Everything works OK although it's hardly usable at that resolution. If I boot into console and do Xorg -configure and then run the resulting xorg.conf nothing happens but black and then it fails back to a corrupted console. Re-boot is the only fix. I'm using the nvidia driver, not nv and am currently running it with a "Cornerstone" brand PCI card which surprisingly runs it fine if a little slowly. Does anybody have any suggestions to get this working? Thanks for any tips.

I couldn't get the NVS300 to work reliably - it was related to this problem:

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/...sd-9-1-failed-shmoo-sddr3-link-training-error

Did you get the
Code:
failed shmoo sddr3 link training
error?

However, if you want the NVS cards, maybe as they are passively cooled, I found the 285, 290 etc worked fine, but didn't test in a x1 PCIe socket.

Thanks for the reply Richard! The card is for my machine at work; I'll fail it on Monday and see what the log says. The kernel has over 300 tunables so I'll dig around there a bit. Frustrating, since it does run X, just not at the monitor's default resolution. I've found an old xorg.conf I'm going to mail to work and try that. Might just be an auto-configuration issue.

Your mileage may vary, as my case is loosely related to yours, but who knows... I use an old AGP NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 XT which was also stuck at a suboptimal resolution and refused to work with Xorg -configure. After some tinkering, I added this to xorg.conf:
Code:
Section "Device"
  Identifier  "Device0"
  Driver  "nvidia"
  VendorName  "NVIDIA Corporation"
  Option  "ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck, NoWidthAlignmentCheck"
EndSection
These options allowed me to force upgrading the resolution with the MATE control panel to 1366x768.

Hope it helps!

Since you can get 640x480, maybe use that and then try to adjust the config with x11/nvidia-settings or x11/nvidia-xconfig.

Granted, mine is a Quadro so it's not quite the same, but I have a PNY NVIDIA Quadro NVS 450 running with:
Code:
Section "Device"
  Identifier  "Device0"
  Driver  "nvidia"
  VendorName  "NVIDIA Corporation"
  BoardName  "Quadro NVS 450"
  BusID  "PCI:4:0:0"
  Screen  0
EndSection

Section "Device"
  Identifier  "Device1"
  Driver  "nvidia"