bhyve question, is AMD supported?

Greetings,

When I load the vmm kernel module, I see the following in /var/log/messages:

Code:
Dec 27 11:47:01 susieq kernel: amd_iommu_init: not implemented
Dec 27 11:47:01 susieq kernel: amdv_init: not implemented
Dec 27 11:47:01 susieq kernel: amdv_cleanup: not implemented
Dec 27 11:47:01 susieq kernel: module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (vmm, 0xffffffff82817b60, 0) error 6

I'm running FreeBSD-RC3. Is amd not supported yet? I have virtualization enabled in my BIOS.

Thanks.

Has anybody tested bhyve with AMD?

I have AMD-FX.

From the FAQ:
Q: What hardware does it run on?

A: bhyve currently supports Intel processors with Extended Page Tables. Processor EPT compatibility can be determined at ark.intel.com but most Atom C2000, Core i3, i5, i7 and related Xeon processors are supported. Presence of the "POPCNT" (POP Count) processor feature in dmesg(8) will also indicate EPT support.

AMD RVI (Rapid Virtualization Indexing, formerly Nested Page Tables) support arrived on August 22nd, 2013 with FreeBSD svn r254677 and currently resides in a separate development branch. "Barcelona" class and newer AMD processors should include the required RVI extension and as with Intel processors, presence of the "POPCNT" (POP Count) processor feature in dmesg(8) will also indicate RVI support.

A r261578 (February 4th, 2014, MFC @ r259205) snapshot with AMD SVM support can be downloaded from:

USA: http://mirrors.nycbug.org/pub/bhyve/r261578-svm/

EU: http://high5.nl/mirrors/bhyve/r261578-svm/

As I understand, it should work now with AMD.

I've got the same issues as the TS.
Code:
FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE #2
Processor information from /var/run/dmesg.boot:
Code:
CPU: AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 3280                  (2400.05-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x600f12  Family = 0x15  Model = 0x1  Stepping = 2
  Features=0x178bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT>
  Features2=0x1e98220b<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,MON,SSSE3,CX16,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,POPCNT,AESNI,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX>
  AMD Features=0x2e500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,FFXSR,Page1GB,RDTSCP,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1c9bfff<LAHF,CMP,SVM,ExtAPIC,CR8,ABM,SSE4A,MAS,Prefetch,OSVW,IBS,XOP,SKINIT,WDT,LWP,FMA4,NodeId,Topology,PCXC,PNXC>
  TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics
And the problem lines from /var/run/dmesg.boot:
Code:
amd_iommu_init: not implemented
amdv_init: not implemented
amdv_cleanup: not implemented
module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (vmm, 0xffffffff80e2ab60, 0) error 6
Hardware virtualisation options are turned on in BIOS. Is AMD not supported yet or do I have incompatible hardware and can't I run bhyve?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no AMD bhyve support in 10.0-RELEASE. It was developed in a separate project and was only merged into HEAD yesterday.

Author:neel
Date:Tue Oct 21 07:10:43 2014 UTC (27 hours, 27 minutes ago)
Changed paths:23
Log Message:
Merge projects/bhyve_svm into HEAD.

After this change bhyve supports AMD processors with the SVM/AMD-V hardware
extensions.

More details available here:
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-virtualization/2014-October/002905.html

I'm not sure if they are going to try and push it into 10.1-RELEASE. I would hope so, but I don't think it made it into 10.1-RC3 and that is supposed to be the last release candidate, so I'm not sure if they'll allow a change that isn't a critical fix into 10.1 a week before release.

Dizzzy_Dozzzer, your CPU dmesg output lists POPCNT which would suggest your processor has the required features.
as with Intel processors, presence of the "POPCNT" (POP Count) processor feature in dmesg(8) will also indicate RVI support.

Your CPU dmesg output lists POPCNT which would suggest your processor has the required features.
Yeah, SVM and POPCNT flags are present, so I suppose that I can run bhyve at my server instead of VirtualBox. But maybe there are some ways to run bhyve on the AMD server? I hope it would be so.

What would be the easiest way to try out bhyve on AMD processors?
Is there a way to upgrade from the official version, 10.1 FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE #0 r274401

Code:
# freebsd-update upgrade -r 10.1-STABLE
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 5 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.1-RELEASE from update2.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.

The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
kernel/generic world/base

The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:
src/src world/doc world/games world/lib32

Does this look reasonable (y/n)? y

Fetching metadata signature for 10.1-STABLE from update2.freebsd.org... failed.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.1-STABLE from update4.freebsd.org... failed.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.1-STABLE from update5.freebsd.org... failed.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.1-STABLE from update3.freebsd.org... failed.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.1-STABLE from update6.freebsd.org... failed.
No mirrors remaining, giving up.

Not really and those images can not be used for upgrades but only for clean installs. Do the source upgrade, it's not difficult at all if you follow the instructions closely.

I am not on a high-speed Internet connection on the AMD machine that I want to test bhyve on. Thanks anyways for the hint.

Back