No sound in ttyv8

I've used FreeBSD 10.0 and Xfce as DE. Some days ago I deleted some obsolete packages (I can not remember which). And what happened: when I want to listen to music with Clementine I can't hear any sound on ttyv8, but on terminals from ttyv1 to ttyv7 I can listen to playing music. What am I doing wrong?

Please describe the procedure you follow to cause this. TTYs are text-only consoles. Do you start audio playing in X and then switch back to a console?

/dev/ttyv8 is normally where X is running, which could explain some difficulty. See /etc/ttys for the entry.

I start playing audio in the X console (ttyv8) and there is no sound. Then when I switch to the text console (ttyv3 for example), I can listen to music. When I switch back to the X console, no sound o_O.

And my /etc/ttys:
Code:
ttyv0  "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"  xterm  on  secure
# Virtual terminals
ttyv1  "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"  xterm  on  secure
ttyv2  "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"  xterm  on  secure
ttyv3  "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"  xterm  on  secure
ttyv4  "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"  xterm  on  secure
ttyv5  "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"  xterm  on  secure
ttyv6  "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"  xterm  on  secure
ttyv7  "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"  xterm  on  secure
ttyv8  "/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm  off secure
# Serial terminals
# The 'dialup' keyword identifies dialin lines to login, fingerd etc.
ttyu0  "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"  dialup  off secure
ttyu1  "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"  dialup  off secure
ttyu2  "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"  dialup  off secure
ttyu3  "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"  dialup  off secure
# Dumb console
dcons  "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"  vt100  off secure

Sorry, if I was imprecise.

I only want to listen to music with the Clementine player. When I start the player with the panel plugin, the clementine player status shows that the program is running. But there's no sound. If I switch to a text console (ttyv1) then I can listen to played music.

The same thing happens if I listen music channels on YouTube with a web browser.

I also looked at the log files, and found nothing about disallowing sound on the X console.

I can guess that "switch to text console" means pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1, but you might mean starting a terminal Window. I can guess that by "playing music" you mean typing a command at ttyv8, which is tied up running X. I can guess that sound is playing but stops when switching to ttyv8 from another text console by pressing Alt-F8. But these are just guesses. An accurate answer depends on accurate, specific information.

I can guess that "switch to text console" means pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1, but you might mean starting a terminal Window. I can guess that by "playing music" you mean typing a command at ttyv8, which is tied up running X. I can guess that sound is playing but stops when switching to ttyv8 from another text console by pressing Alt-F8. But these are just guesses. An accurate answer depends on accurate, specific information.

Yes, when I press Ctrl-Alt-F1 I can listen to music. When I go back to ttyv8 by pressing Alt-F8 there is no sound.

"There is no sound" does not provide any details. Does it stop playing? Refuse to start? Is there an error message? Please feel free to use as many words as needed to describe the problem to someone who cannot actually see your screen or hear your speakers.

"There is no sound" does not provide any details. Does it stop playing? Refuse to start? Is there an error message?

As I wrote, there no sound. Clementine works normally with no errors. It plays music which I can't listen in the X console (ttyv8), but I can listen to it in the text console (ttyv1) if I press Ctrl-Alt-F1.

The same situation is when I want to listen to music in YouTube with a web browser.

I have this ugly problem with my new monitor Philips LED LCD TV 32PFH4309. When replacing it with my old monitor the sound is now working as it expected.

I apologize to all if I had an unusual question.

Does anybody have problems with playing sounds on ttyv8 with the Philips LED LCD TV 32PFH4309 monitor?

I have this ugly problem with my new monitor Philips LED LCD TV 32PFH4309.
When replacing it with my old monitor the sound now working as it expected.

I am apologize to all if I had an unusual questions.

Does have anybody problems with playing sounds on ttyv8 with monitor Philips LED LCD TV 32PFH4309?
How is sound connected to your machine? And, are you using separate speakers, or speakers built into your monitor or TV?

How is sound connected to your machine?
And, are you using separate speakers, or speakers built-in to your monitor or TV?
The monitor is connected to the computer with an HDMI-DVI cable and I am using speakers built into the monitor. A sound card is connected to the monitor with a separate audio cable.

Are you using the same setup when you try your TV? If so, be aware that your TV might switch to sound from HDMI when you connect a video signal via HDMI. If that happens, you will need to switch the sound input to the correct input (where your audio cable is connected) on the TV.

No, for the computer there are different settings.

Sorry for being unclear; I wasn't talking about settings, I was thinking about the physical setup. With your TV, are you using the same connection from your computer's sound output to speakers in your TV?

Back