AMD Ryzen 9 7940HS (Radeon 780M) - Graphics now working!

This was a very rocky road and maybe its just me, but I found next to no helpful information in getting the 780M graphics of the fairly new AMD 7940HS to work on FreeBSD. Here is a short list of the things I had to do to get this working:

• Upgrade to FreeBSD 15-CURRENT, it looks like the drm-61-kmod package required to support this APU is not available for FreeBSD 14 or 13. This is a bummer, I do not usually like to run bleeding edge development branches
  • Install drm-61-kmod from packages or port (I installed everything from ports)
  • Add the required kld_list="amdgpu" to your rc.conf
  • Now install the following firmware packages/ports:
    • gpu-firmware-amd-kmod-dcn-3-1-4
    • gpu-firmware-amd-kmod-gc-11-0-1
    • gpu-firmware-amd-kmod-gc-11-0-4
    • gpu-firmware-amd-kmod-psp-13-0-4
    • gpu-firmware-amd-kmod-sdma-6-0-1
    • gpu-firmware-amd-kmod-vcn-4-0-2
If you install from ports, the part after "gpu-firmware-amd-kmod" indicates the flavour you need to build.

Now the GPU should properly initialize on reboot. If you forget any of the firmware packages or get the wrong flavour, you will get a kernel panic during boot. Actually, output from these kernel panics showed me which firmware packages were needed. So if you are installing a slightly different APU and do get a kernel panic, pay close attention to the AMD driver messages, these are really helpful.

The "friendly name" of the Ryzen 9 7940HS platform is "Phoenix", in case that gets later added to the AMD GPU firmware flavours.

If anybody is interested, the PC in question is a Minisforum UM790 Pro (which I was almost ready to throw out of the windows before I got this to work, finally). This also required the realtek-re-kmod package for the 2.5 GBit Ethernet interface to work.

… CURRENT, … a bummer, I do not usually like to run bleeding edge development branches …

If you make good use of ZFS boot environments, you should have no fear.

A few hours ago in Discord we walked someone through upgrading from 14.0-RELEASE to 15.0-CURRENT. Partly with reference to the wiki, which currently focuses on RELEASE, so some variation was required (plus, we noticed some gaps).

Back