Firefox hangs frequently on 14.0-RELEASE

Hi, I'm using FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE-p2 upgraded from 13.2-RELEASE and noticed Firefox 120.0.1 hangs very frequently (once every hour) and I have to kill and re-launch it.

My setup is

Resolution: 1680x1050, 1920x1080
DE: Xfce 4.18
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (12) @ 3.593GHz
GPU: GK208B [GeForce GT 710]
Memory: 12085MiB / 32672MiB

Moved it to "Multimedia/Gaming" as browsers are more akin to multimedia players nowadays.

martinrame - Firefox added a network proxy feature. I had the same problem you encountered and found that a tab would hang occasionally.

If you go to Settings->General->Network and click "Settings...", you will be presented with a dialog for proxy settings. The default set by Mozilla is "Use Default System Proxy". If you are not using a proxy, select "No Proxy". After the change, I haven't had a problem with Firefox.

Also verify Settings->General->Performance settings are suitable for you.

What I believe has changed is the "Use System Default Proxy" as the default rather than None.
As far as I know it has been "Use System Default" from the start. How it determines what the "system default" is may have changed though. Because that's not exactly a standard. There are environment variables (HTTP_PROXY and friends) but various desktop environments may have mucked that up.

After two days running non-stop on two screens on two desktops ~6 tabs open on each screen, ~24 tabs total I can say firefox-esr works without a hitch. Also with this version I can screen share with Google Meet (the other version hangs immediately after trying to share the screen).

Back