Solved ZFS: unsupported feature: com.klarasystems:vdev_zaps_v2

on 14.0 after a $ zpool status indicating "unactivated features" and a $ zpool upgrade -a (if I remember correctly) the machine suffers from amnesia.
signal-2024-04-07-125751.jpeg

• what can I do to recover?
  • what did I do wrong?

In this case, you're gone too far. You need to boot on a FreeBSD-14 USB key. As you're BIOS booting, you don't need the efi stuff. Just gpart bootcode... Target the good drive and partition you'll see with gpart show.

Reactions: mro
I
I stil wonder why $ zpool status encouraged me to $ zpool upgrade -a, however. Feels like a footgun. I will still follow advice from zfs status etc. when I am in a learning mood and trust in your fellow-forists' help in case.

Thanks, feels fine!

You can wonder...

Many people here will tell you, you had just to read the warning after the zpool upgrade command.

That's always made me "laugh" as it's somewhat cryptic now and it was totally confusing before, speaking of gpart bootcoode even if you didn't use BIOS booting at all, but efi.

Worse, it was giving an example that's not suited to your disk configuration. How many people didn't boot because the partition index wasn't correct for them?

How many people clean their disk from FreeBSD because of that?

In true, I don't laugh because FreeBSD is a good OS and it doesn't deserve that problem which is just bad communication and... Well, lack of efforts to make that understandable.

• typed $ gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0 without much hope the mountpoints being ok
  • rebooted and smiled 🎉

Thanks, feels fine!

Just wanted to say thanks because I had the exact same problem and was not sure about the correct gpart command.

• Thanks
Reactions: mro
Back