14.1 is coming

As long as basic code review doesn't get overlooked giving us nasty surprises, I don't see this as a bad thing. -STABLE and -CURRENT tend to be very stable these days. With the increase in new hardware support that often does not officially get released until the next point release, accelerating the cadence will help keep those of us who like to run -RELEASE able to keep up better with the hardware.

Edit: Other than the updated drm-kmod, does anyone have a good link to other notable updates?
I hope they won't move too fast though so that users do not feel pressured to update every two weeks for example. The current point release tempo felt like a good balance, maybe a bit too long at times.
My feelings are a bit mixed about this honestly, I just hope it won't hurt the OS's stability which is one of the reason I, and many others I suppose, came to FreeBSD.
I don't want to see a short cycle make them rush things too much, but I suppose that they know what they do, so let's see how all of this goes.

Nothing short about it. It's planned right on the expected time. The release of 14.0 was postponed a couple of times, so the schedule shifted a bit.
dear sirdice:
why freebsd 14 offen update ? past half year, the freebsd update from 14.0 to 14p1-p6. thanks.

why freebsd 14 offen update ? past half year, the freebsd update from 14.0 to 14p1-p6.

There were bug fixes and security issues that were resolved. Not sure what you are asking. Everything these days (Mac, Windows, Linux, *BSD, iOS, Android) has frequent updates.

If you need the details go to https://www.freebsd.org/ and look at the right-hand panel where there are SECURITY ADVISORIES and ERRATA NOTICES.

Or for 14.0 specifically:

from 14.0 to 14p1-p6.

An unofficial table provides a summary:

1715151858486.png

There were bug fixes and security issues that were resolved. Not sure what you are asking. Everything these days (Mac, Windows, Linux, *BSD, iOS, Android) has frequent updates.
My opinion:
smaller, well defined, frequent updates are less likely to break everything

But they need to be kept small and well defined so

why freebsd 14 offen update ? past half year, the freebsd update from 14.0 to 14p1-p6. thanks.

The argument against such frequent updates may come from the fact that it is implied that better/longer testing would have prevented these errors & security issues being introduced in the official minor releases, such as 13.x-RELEASE or 14.y-RELEASE. However, as FreeBSD supports two major releases concurrently on an equal basis, the fact of the matter is that many of the issues of the 14.0-RELEASE patches are also related to the 13 major RELEASE/STABLE line.

From the FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE Errata (Last modified on: April 1, 2024 by Philip Paeps):

Type14.0-RELEASE
total
14.0-RELEASE
exclusively
14.0-RELEASE and
13.x-RELEASE or 13-STABLE
Security Advisories606
Errata Notices16610

I'm not familiar with the procedure for launching a new patch, but I imagine that security issues at least* have a very high priority. Releasing security patches less frequently means longer exposure of (production) systems to vulnerabilities, while mitigations are already known ...

I prefer more frequent patches and less vulnerabilities :)

___
* I expect something similar for issues belonging to Errata Notices

… the fact that it is implied that better/longer testing would have prevented these errors & security issues being introduced in the official minor releases, such as …

I'm not aware of that fact (or implication), NB the screenshot of conversation with Colin Percival (near the foot of page one).

If you need the details go to https://www.freebsd.org/ and look at the right-hand panel where there are SECURITY ADVISORIES and ERRATA NOTICES.

Or for 14.0 specifically:

thanks. i think freebsd14 update so frequently.

Back