Migration from Fedora Linux to Free BSD

Thank you, i really appreciate it. I don't know how to use Emacs, its really overwhelming for me, im literally a Rookie, but some day i could try using it. I want to become a sysadmin SRE o DevOps in the future. I've already downloaded the documentation it's nice that you can download the PDF.

Personally, I would just try and install FreeBSD and Xorg, and a couple of utilities to start with. I'm lost without Midnight Commander. You favourite editor would also come in useful.

pkg install -y mc emacs xorg drm-kmod

Is what I normally install, although drm-kmod might not be appropriate for you system.

That would highlight any potential problems you might have with graphics drivers, and you can get a feel for the underlying system and figure out how to diagnose any problems.

If that works out you can simply add the MATE desktop without starting from scratch.

Just thought I'd add, since you might not realise, coming from Linux, FreeBSD keeps the OS separate from pkgs. /usr/local is where all pkgs are installed.

And if you get stuck, https://docs.fr
Sorry i forgot to reply, the upper post was for you. Thank you 🙏

Thank you, i really appreciate it. I don't know how to use Emacs, its really overwhelming for me, im literally a Rookie, but some day i could try using it. I want to become a sysadmin SRE o DevOps in the future. I've already downloaded the documentation it's nice that you can download the PDF.
Emacs is overwhelming for me too, I just wish I had made more of an effort to learn it properly many years ago. I've now adopted it as my main text editor and to some extent file manager. For me, the key to making it usable is to define the keybindings you are most familiar with and take it from there a small step at a time. Without my own keybindings I get hopelessly lost.

Emacs is overwhelming for me too, I just wish I had made more of an effort to learn it properly many years ago. I've now adopted it as my main text editor and to some extent file manager. For me, the key to making it usable is to define the keybindings you are most familiar with and take it from there a small step at a time. Without my own keybindings I get hopelessly lost.
I have used unix-like systems for well over 20 years now and I have yet to use emacs. However I find Kate, nano, and nice Editor to be very useful.

Hello, I've been using Linux for about 2 year, and I'd like to start using Free BSD as a daily drive OS because of its policies. I'm tired of Big Corporations and their tendencies of using Bloatware and Telemetry. I don't know if my hardware is compatible with Free BSD, and also don't know where can I learn about it. I'm going to attach an image of my laptop features using Neofetch. Thank you very much in advance. Greetings from Argentina. View attachment 18975
That’s a great decision to explore FreeBSD! Have you checked the FreeBSD Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) to see if your laptop’s components are supported? It’s a good starting point to understand compatibility issues. Additionally, are there specific forums or communities related to FreeBSD in Argentina or globally where you can seek advice and learn from others’ experiences with similar hardware setups? It’s always helpful to connect with a community when exploring a new operating system. ¡Buena suerte desde Argentina!

That’s a great decision to explore FreeBSD! Have you checked the FreeBSD Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) to see if your laptop’s components are supported? It’s a good starting point to understand compatibility issues. Additionally, are there specific forums or communities related to FreeBSD in Argentina or globally where you can seek advice and learn from others’ experiences with similar hardware setups? It’s always helpful to connect with a community when exploring a new operating system. ¡Buena suerte desde Argentina
My laptops are not supportted, but i could install it in my Tower. I liked it a lot its a pretty good OS. Saddly I dont know about any Argentinian BSD community. Thank you for replying and ¡Gracias amigo!

Back